Weston’s First Dentist Provides the Numbers on Sleep Apnea
Dr. Stephen J. Pyle, Weston’s first dentist, is trained and qualified to diagnose OSA and works closely with sleep disorder MDs in treating the condition with dental appliances. A supporter of educating the public on health issues, Dr. Pyle offers up these facts and statistics about a condition that can adversely affect your health that is woefully under diagnosed:
Symptoms of Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Waking up with a headache
- A frequent need to urinate during the night
- Nighttime gasping or coughing
- Excessive drowsiness during the day
You are a prime candidate for OSA if you:
- Are a male
- If you are obese
- If you smoke or drink excessively
- If you have a large neck size
- If you have hypertension
- If there is a family history of obstructive sleep apnea
The Cost of Undiagnosed Sleep Apnea
- People with moderate to severe sleep apnea are 15 times more likely to be involved in a traffic accident.
- Treating all U.S. drivers with OSA would save over $11 billion in accident related costs and save nearly 1,000 lives a year.
- Undiagnosed sufferers used $200,000 more in health care in the 2 years prior to diagnosis than diagnosed persons.
- Total cost of sleepiness is $43 to $51 billion per year.
OSA can now be treated with a simple dental appliance that worn at night that positions the lower jaw slightly forward preventing the airway from collapsing. The device is comfortable, effective, allows normal speech and even allows sipping water. The device has to be custom fitted and for that we recommend you visit Dr. Pyle in Weston.