A Reminder About the Importance of Back to School Check-ups From Our Weston Dental Practice
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 19% of kids age 3-to-12 have undiagnosed tooth decay. That’s one of the many reasons it’s important to take care of any dental issues early in the school year and avoid the an emergency dental appointments during school.
Pediatric dentistry has changed a lot since you were a kid. Today’s technology and advanced dental techniques provide a far more comfortable experience for children. The advancements in preventive care have also made cavities more rare. That being said a dental visit can still be a stressful experience for your child. We make your child’s back-to-school check as comfortable as possible. Here are a few more reason you need to schedule a back-to-school appointment:
- If your child is going to participate in any contact sports, this is the time to have them fitted with a custom sports guard. A sports guard will protect their gums and the permanent teeth that have arrived.
- Young children will benefit with time spent with Dr. Pyle and his staff learning them about a good oral health routine.
- Your kids should get used to a back-to-school dental exam at an early age so that it becomes an annual routine.
- We use digital x-rays, advanced sealants, Carifree cavity prevention and provide orthodontic evaluations to make sure the appointment helps keep you childs teeth and gums healthily throughout the school year.
Make an appointment at our Weston dental practice for your kids’ back to school dental exam. At some point your kids may even thank you.
What to Look for in a Pediatric Dentist Weston’s Top Family Dentist Explains
Finding a good kid dentist who has both the training to care for your child’s teeth and that your kid trusts and likes can be a hit and miss exercise unless you know what to look for. Weston pediatric dentist Stephen J. Pyle DDS has been treating kids for over a quarter century and offers some important tips for parents looking for a child dentist and who are new to the Weston/Davie area or who have a child ready for their first trip to the dentist.
How to Choose a Pediatric Dentist
One thing to keep in mind when searching for a kid dentist is geographic location is not always a limiter. Dr. Pyle has parents bringing their children to his Weston dental office from as far away as Fort Lauderdale. They find the extra drive time a small price to pay to have children who don’t have anxiety over a trip to Dr. Pyle’s place.
So here is where you want to start in your search for a pediatric dentist:
- Ask your pediatrician for referrals
- Ask your friends and co-workers who they take their kids to and, just as important, who have they tried and left
- Once you have found prospective dentists find out what their training is and how long they have been treating children
- Call the dental office or visit the dentist’s website to see what services the dentist provides children
- Determine what dental technology the dentist uses i.e. digital x-ray, laser assisted treatment, preventive care
- Does the dentist treat toddlers to teens
- Is the dentist available for emergency dental care of kids
Of course nothing beats a trip to the dental office for a face to face with the dental staff and the dentist. If the office is all institutional décor and the staff appear to be all business, that’s a reflection of how the dentist runs his or her practice and that may not be the best environment to bring a kid into. That’s not to say the dentist is a bad dentist, that office may be the perfect solution for a busy adult patient whose schedule is just as tight as any health care provider but if you are put off imagine how your kid will react.
Child psychology is an important element in pediatric health care of any kind. You want a dentist with a friendly staff that welcomes children and a dentist who makes the visit a relaxed and fun experience.
At Dr. Pyle’s practice that’s the kind of office we run. If you would like more information or schedule an appointment for your child, please give us a call today to speak to our friendly staff.